Koji Launch Press Release
Koji Launches to Bring True 35mm Film Color to Digital Filmmakers
October 8, 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota – Koji Color has announced the release of Koji, a suite of highly accurate 35mm film emulation tools for digital filmmakers. Led by acclaimed film color timer Dale Grahn (Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Apocalypse Now Redux), Koji brings the striking color of true 35mm film to digital filmmakers for the first time.
Seeing that film as a medium was facing possible extinction, the Koji team began in 2011 to attempt the accurate preservation of film color. Working with experts around the world and the top film labs in Hollywood, the team was able to preserve six 35mm print stocks, sometimes rescuing film cans from stock rooms at the last possible moment. These recovered film stocks were painstakingly preserved digitally, and are now available for use by digital filmmakers.
With Koji, you can:
* Easily apply 35mm film color in Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X, Adobe SpeedGrade, Adobe After Effects, and Autodesk Smoke.
* Dramatically increase the image quality of your digital film, whether it was shot on a DSLR, Blackmagic camera, RED Dragon, or Arri Alexa.
* Choose from among six 35mm film stocks, each with a unique look and history, including five color and one black and white stock.
Koji is available as three different packages:
* Koji DSLR. Brings beautiful, highly accurate film color to footage shot on DSLRs. Works with a wide variety of camera formats including Canon DSLRs, Panasonic DSLRs, and Blackmagic cameras (video mode).
* Koji Log. Fast, powerful film color for log footage. Designed to work natively with REDlogFilm, Arri Log C, BMDFilm, BMDFilmV2, Canon C-Log, and Sony SLog3.
* Koji Studio. Advanced film color for experienced colorists. Includes technical versions of the Koji film stocks with full color separation, as well as DCI-P3 output for Cineon.
”With Koji, you will learn many things about color timing,” said Dale Grahn. “And one of them will be that the two worlds –digital and film – are very much alike. Each with their advantages and disadvantages. We are now in a digital world and all of the images graded using Koji will be digitally corrected with digital tools. Yet the tools will come from a film color timer’s perspective. Hopefully the best of both worlds. We hope you enjoy both worlds!”
About Koji Color:
Koji Color is a leading provider of 35mm film emulation software for digital filmmakers. Koji’s color team is led by Dale Grahn, acclaimed film color timer for Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, and on hundreds of major films.
* Requires MacOS 10.8 or higher
* 4GB Ram
* OpenCL-capable or Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics card
* 256GB of VRAM
* 500MB of disk space
Pricing and Availability:
* Koji DSLR (US$199)
* Koji Log (US$299)
* Koji Studio (US$799)
Koji DSLR, Log, and Studio are available worldwide exclusively through the Koji Color web store (www.kojicolor.com). You can find us on Facebook (Koji Color) and Twitter (@kojicolor).
Copyright 2014 Koji Color. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Final Cut Pro X are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries. Adobe, the Adobe logo, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, and Adobe SpeedGrade are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. DaVinci Resolve is a trademark of Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd. Autodesk Smoke is a trademark of Autodesk, Inc.
Co-founder, Koji Color